Saturday, October 1, 2011

routine

Alarm goes off.  I need to wake up the girls, make their lunches, get them ready and on the bus for school.

Then it's my turn to shower and get ready.  I prepare lunches for Damian and I, dinner for myself to bring to the hospital and try to remember to take something out of the freezer for Damian and the girls' dinner.  I also pack an overnight bag.  Whenever I'm ready I head to the hospital to relieve Damian.

When I arrive we usually spend some time together with Caelan.  It's our opportunity to review what's going on at the hospital.  i.e. How was Caelan's night? What happened in rounds? Any changes?  Which doctors came by?  What did they say?  We also discuss home life.  i.e.  Do we need milk or other groceries?  Laundry? Girls homework status, etc...  It's exciting stuff.

I'll spend the rest of the day and the night at the hospital with Caelan while Damian heads home in time to get the girls off the bus.  He's got to deal with homework, dinner, baths and bedtime before he collapses into bed himself for a good night's rest. 

When he wakes up in the morning his routine follows mine and we trade off again at the hospital. This way we alternate the sleepless nights at CHEO and we both get to see all three kids everyday.

Then the weekend hits and we try to follow the same idea but it's a bit trickier since the girls aren't in school.  They've been coming in to see their brother, going on playdates and spending time with grandparents to help us with the shift change.

It's not perfect, but it's what we're doing... ya know... in case you were wondering.

1 comment:

  1. Routine is good. AND you are very good at establishing those. You guys are doing great! If it were me dealing, I would be resembling a feathered friend after a trip to the butcher!

    xo

    ReplyDelete