Wednesday, October 6, 2010

rain, rain, go away!

Is it just me or does this weather suck the energy right out of you?  Like everyone we know who owns a home, we have one of those really long to do lists (that I’m not going to get into now).  Unfortunately today, it was like the rain just washed away any and all motivation.   It’s miserable.  It makes me grumpy. 
You can imagine what that meant for September!  I’ve been told we didn’t break any records for rainfall in September but I was also told that it rained 23 out of 30 days.  Not good, not good at all.  There are excuses for September though… ok, well maybe only one really good one and that’s getting back into the school routine.  I milked it for the whole month!  It’s an adjustment for the whole family.  Back to regular bathing (or at least arguing about it) and brushing hair (ditto), making lunches, packing snacks, morning alarms, aiming for decent bedtimes, and the dreaded homework.  Basically it just opens up the house to a bunch of things to complain and argue about… and yet, it’s the most wonderful time of the year?!?!! 
The girls also started some after school activities; Ryland’s in a hip hop dance class and Darcy is taking gymnastics.   Weeknights are always busy with the girls not getting home from school until 4:30, which I realize is the same time they used to get home when I was going to work!  Damian doesn’t get home from work until 6pm.  We try (or I try and they fight) to get homework done before dinner, so we can have some quality family time, baths and get into bed at a reasonable time… maybe all the fighting has more to do with the fact that once we put them to bed neither of them go to sleep!  Ryland reads.  Definitely a good thing however her clock recently died so she’ll just read until you realize she’s still up and get her to put it away.  I think Darcy is just determined to stay up as late as her sister.  Anyway, mornings are no fun, nights are no fun.  Maybe it’s just Mommy who needs more sleep!
With rainy days like today I just want to stay in my jammies, snuggle up with a good book (hmmm wonder where Ry gets it from?) maybe a hot chocolate… 
Instead we were off to occupational therapy (OT) first thing this morning, where Caelan was able to show off all his new transitions.  Julie (OT) had a fun new experience for Caelan – fish in water.  The fish were gummy candy sharks and the water was blue jello.  Caelan wouldn’t touch it, he was disgusted!  Made quite the faces too!  A few sessions ago we decided that maybe we should stop with the oral feeding sessions as Caelan was becoming less tolerant.  I’m not sure this didn’t have more to do with his 2 year old molars coming through, but regardless we’ve stopped.  We want to separate the possible issues and ensure that Caelan will tolerate dental care, if not food.  So Mom and Caelan have been playing silly “look-I-can-hold-it-in-my-mouth-with-no-hands” games.  This tells me that the object (block, Tupperware, sock …) is at least a somewhat in Caelan’s mouth and hopefully, eventually, we’ll get him to be more acceptant of a toothbrush or spoon.  Julie still wants him to experience different foods through touch, hence the fun fish and water.
As soon as we got home from OT it was time for our ASL (American Sign Language) lesson.  These lessons are always fun and exhausting.   More fun for me now since Damian’s home to share the learning, although I think he finds them more exhausting! 
Finally, I was off to pick up Darcy at school to take her to gymnastics.  I did groceries while she was in her class.  Home for dinner, baths and bed.  Come to think of it, when did I expect to get to that blasted to do list today anyway???

No comments:

Post a Comment