They started their day participating in Jump Rope for Heart. Jump Rope for Heart is a fundraising activity where the children skip rope in support of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. It helps get kids active and raises awareness for healthy eating. I pulled the following disturbing "Heart Facts" off their website:
- 28% of Ontario kids are overweight or obese
- 26% of Canadian kids are overweight or obese
- Childhood obesity rates have tripled over the past 25 years
- Only 20% of Canadian children receive daily physical activity education in school
- 50% of children and youth aged 5 to 17 aren't active enough for optimal growth and development
- 7 out of 10 children aged 4 to 8 don’t eat the recommended daily intake of vegetables and fruit
After lunch all the kids in the school change into their Halloween costumes and parade through town. I'm not sure of the route they take but from Darcy's perspective they go on EVERY street in Russell. It's a fun tradition that the kids all really enjoy and a great way to kick off Halloween weekend!