Tuesday, November 8, 2011

only a matter of time

All weekend long, Damian and I knew that we were walking a bit of a tightrope with Caelan.  We both were questioning whether it was time to bring Caelan back into the Emergency room.  His breathing issues persisted.  During the day he seems to handle life almost as we expected him too.  Almost.  As we expected, when he's exerting himself he has to work harder at breathing.  Unfortunately it's taking him longer to recover than we thought it should and things that shouldn't create effort are.  Like sneezing.  It shouldn't take anyone 5 minutes to recover from a sneeze!  His nights are worse, he's just not resting well.  He's working really hard still.  At the same time I want to make it clear that most of the time he's fine.  100%  A okay.  The part that concerns us is that he can seem to be fine one minute and then not so much the next.  By Monday morning we had decided on a plan in hopes of staying clear of the Emergency Room.  Damian stopped in at the ENT clinic while Caelan was in preschool at OCTC - just looking for a couple minutes to voice our concerns and hear an expert opinion.  The receptionist turned Damian away.  We know our Surgeon is a very busy doctor but he's also very caring and supportive.  So much so, that he replied to the e-mail I sent that afternoon around 8:30 last night.  He apologized for not seeing Damian when he was at the hospital and recommended that we bring Caelan in today or whatever day this week suited us.  Damian and Caelan went in this morning and gave the Surgeon the opportunity to hear and see how hard Caelan has to work when he's upset/mad.  It didn't take him long to decide he wanted to scope.  The scope sealed the decision to operate again and open up Caelan's airway just a tiny bit more.  He was hoping to be able to fit Caelan into the O.R. possibly tomorrow or at least this week.  Unfortunately, he just called and advised that it looks like it will probably be early next week instead - unless of course Caelan worsens and we bring him in before then.  He also called in a prescription to our pharmacy for a steroid to help keep the inflammation down and ease his effort in breathing until the surgery (if required).   This surgery will be similar to the last one.  It will be done by laser and he should be intubated for 24 hours.  We'll keep you posted on when we get a specific date and time. 


  1. I am thinking about you all....

  2. So frustrating but fingers crossed this is the 'fix' that fixes it all!!
    xoxo thinking of you guys everyday

  3. The roller coaster ride continues. Hoping Caelan gets the results he needs. What an exhausitng fall you have had. You guys are so tough and need a vacation!!!!!
    Love you

  4. So frustrated for all of you. If we can do anything, please let me know.
    Caro, xox

  5. Tanya ...it is good you have a date. This will be the fix Caelan needs.
    Remember Bill and I are here and don't hesitate to ask for help.
    Love You all,
    Mom xoxo