Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - specific movie scenes

Ok, I wanted to post this last Tuesday but we had computer issues so here it is this week.  Hope it was worth waiting for!!


This post is a follow up to this one from a couple weeks ago,  Movie Dance Scenes, where I talked about the idea that a song in a movie, if done well, should completely change the way you remember that song.  Sound familiar? 


My first list was specific to songs where the actors were in fact dancing.  I didn't feel these could be included in the 'specific scene' list because, well, they were dancing, so of course I was going to remember it!!  I love dance scenes!


For the same reasons Musicals can't be on the list... and I haven't made a decision yet as to where Disney movies fit in.  I may have to work on an animated list!  Oh my gosh, this topic could keep me going for weeks!!  Not that anyone commented on the last one so maybe I'm out on my own on this one.  Oh well.  I still thinks it cool.


Actually off on a total tangent - One of the movies in the list from a couple weeks ago was on this past Saturday morning when I got up.  What are the odds of that?  Of course it had to be the one that I had to search for the title of.  I'll never forget it now!


Ok back to this top ten.  This was the list that started it all.  It was while I was trying to make this list that I realized just how much of an influence music has in film.  At least for me anyway.  And Damian because he got dragged into this conversation on multiple occasions lately.  Doesn't matter where I hear these songs, it can be in a restaurant, a store, at a wedding or on the radio, the song reminds me of a specific scene in a movie.  I'm hoping you can relate... and maybe even share one of your own?


  1. I Don't want to miss a thing by Aerosmith in the movie Armageddon.  The scene is with Liv Tyler and Ben Affleck's characters lying in a field at sunset.  (Note: Damian remembers this song for the one that was playing on the radio when I told him we were pregnant for Darcy)
  2. Stuck in the middle with you by Stealers Wheel in the movie Reservoir Dogs.  I remember it as the torture scene when they cut off dude's ear.  Damian remembers the guy dancing his groovy little dance before he cut's the ear off.
  3. What a wonderful world by Louis Armstrong in the movie Good Morning Vietnam.  Such a beautiful song.  It's unfortunate that now all I see are those bombs exploding and horrible images of war.
  4. Don't you (forget about me) by Simple Minds in the movie The Breakfast Club.  It's the final scene as everyone leaves the school after serving their detention.  Apparently after all these years I still haven't forgotten.
  5. Under the Boardwalk covered by Bette Midler in the movie Beaches.  It's right near the beginning of the movie; a flashback to when Hilary and CC first meet on the beach.  A young Hilary can't find her hotel and a young CC is hiding (smoking) under the boardwalk.
  6. Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers in the movie Ghost.  I don't know how anyone could forget that romantic scene with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze and the pottery wheel...
  7. You've lost that lovin' feeling by The Righteous Brothers in Top Gun.  Ok I have to admit that I had a really hard time picking just one song/scene from this film.  I could have easily gone with Take my breath away, Great Balls of Fire or Danger zone, but I went with Damian's pick.  It's in the bar when they first meet Kelly McGillis's character.  Apparently I watched this movie a lot.
  8. Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood in the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day.  In this scene Arnold's character is walking out of a bar and gets on his motorcycle after being in a fight.
  9. Cowboy by Kid Rock in the movie Shanghai Noon.  What a hiliarious team those two actors make!  Watching Owen Wilson's character teach Jackie Chan's character how to be a cowboy, when he ain't much of one himself is unforgetable.
  10. Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! in the movie Die Hard.  My husband relates most Christmas carols to various scenes in the Die Hard movies because we all know they're Christmas movies.  What?? You didn't know that??  humph.  The movies take place at Christmas time therefore making them Christmas movies.  They're shown on television every Christmas season, trust me, I know.

Well that's it.  What do you think?


  

1 comment:

  1. #4 One of my favorite movies of all time - Didn't we watch that movie about a billion times one summer Tan? .... Still think Judd Nelson walking away alone while that song is playing is incredibly hunky!
    #5 What would have happened if you had moved to Germany? Now as we are old wise ladies I can guess that we would still have this great friendship and I may have gotten a trip to Germany out of it!!!
    #7 I will always cherish that song -- got my first real kiss from Mathew Bailey slow dancing in his basement. Came home shaking - I was in shock!

    ReplyDelete