Thursday, November 22, 2012

Advent Calendars


I grew up with an advent calendar. Hubby grew up with an advent calendar.  The girls have always enjoyed an advent calendar.


For the most part, it was a tiny little piece of chocolate every day counting down to Christmas. 

One year my awesome sister in law found Caelan a playdoh advent calendar. This year I've looked for advent calendars that are not food related for Caelan and although there is a LEGO one (at $40-$50 ahem!) it's just not going to happen.

I turned to the world wide web and all thing on Pinterest to inspire me to make one.

I've come up with 24 different family activities for every night leading up to Christmas.  My problem now lies in how to actually make the calendar.  There are lovely ideas out there, I'm just having trouble with executing one of them!


Source
I really liked this one and I think it was my first choice.  It wouldn't take up any extra space because the tins are magnetic and could go on the fridge.  I already have everything I'd need to decorate them and the only thing I'm missing are the actual tins.  Well... similar tins at IKEA would cost me $80... A little steep for an advent calendar don't you think??

Source
This one is a very similar idea and I think I could probably find little boxes like those at the dollar store making it more affordable than my first pick.  I believe I even have some magnetic tape I could adhere to the back of the boxes so I could still keep them on the fridge... Although the framed look of this one also appeals...

Source
This one is courtesy of Martha Stewart and I really like it.  It wouldn't be too costly as I'd like to think I could find Christmas coloured/themed socks at the dollar store, the ribbon I have and then the mini clothes pins.  The only problem is that we don't have a mantle or a stair railing where we could hang it.  I've been trying to think of different places and I just haven't come up with one that would work in this house

Source
This one I LOVE... but oh the time it would take to be that creative and crafty is just not in me this year!!

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful! Maybe we can plan a day in 2013 to make some fancy ones for next xmas!

    ReplyDelete