Wednesday, February 2, 2011

day at CHEO

Well it was a long day yesterday, as days spent at CHEO usually are.  I'm happy to say it was uneventful.  No surprises.  Thank goodness.
We started with the pre-assessment with anaesthesiology.  It actually went quite well.  Caelan cooperated during his blood pressure check and weigh in, which doesn't happen very often.  It may have had something to do with the pretty young nurse who had a Thomas the Tank Engine picture for him to colour :)  As I expected there are no concerns regarding Caelan's dental day 'surgery' next week.  When your child goes under anaesthetic there's always a worry but knowing it's just to have his teeth cleaned makes a huge difference. 
From there we quickly met my Dad at the front door.  He was kind enough to drop off a pair of Lois' shoes that I was hoping to borrow for the wedding.  Unfortunately, when I got home and tried them on they were too small.  Very disappointing, especially since it meant I had to go out shopping for some last night! 
We headed off to OCTC to see Julie for Caelan's occupational therapy.  Caelan must have already had enough because some exercises that he did easily last week were a battle of the wills this week.  Oh, we haven't seen avoidance tactics like these in ages!!  It was an interesting visit, but definitely not some of Caelan's 'finer' moments.  
Along the same subject, we received the report from the assessment done back in November.  I understand it's part of their job to analyse but I try not to.   It is always nice to review what goals Caelan has succeeded at and hear how well he's progressing.  The part that always reminds me that we've still got a ways to go is the part that I don't like so much.  At the time of the assessment Caelan was 25 months old and was "demonstrating the functional performance levels;  Fine Motor: 12-16 months, Visual Motor Integration: 18 months, Activities of Daily Living: 15-18 months, Perceptual/Conceptual skills: 14-20 Months, Play: 12-18 months."  The exciting part is that since this last assessment he's already learned so much more!!  He is a smart little boy. 
After OT we had two hours to kill before our appointment with Cardiology.  We had a quick bite to eat and then headed over to ENT just to confirm that Dr. V. had us in his schedule for the scope during Caelan's dental work.  He did.  Then we went up to Ophthalmology to follow up on rescheduling an appointment that had been cancelled two weeks ago.  I have to say that most of the staff at CHEO are fabulous.  They're friendly, understanding and just generally nice people, EXCEPT the receptionist in Ophthalmology.  She's AWFUL!  She's rude, disinterested, and unhelpful and acts like you're interrupting/bothering her.  I psych myself up for talking to her and try very hard to remain calm when in her presence.  It takes a lot of effort.  As for those of you that are optimists, it's not just that she's been like this once and I've hit her on a bad day.  She's like this every time we're there or in the adjoining clinic.  
After speaking with her I needed to breathe so Caelan and I walked the halls for a bit.  We visited all the old hallways that Damian and I would walk way back when.  Have to admit, still hits ya and can become overwhelming.  Not memories you like to revisit and I don't know what possessed me to do it then.  Maybe to remind me to be grateful for how far we've come. 
I gave up on trying to waste time and arrived in Cardiology an hour early for our appointment.  It was nice to see the waiting room empty.  I got Caelan out of his stroller and we were able to play for a bit.  We'd heard that you were now able to choose a movie to have during your exam... can't remember if it's the ECG or the EKG?! - it's the one where they do the ultrasound on your heart.  Anyway, we haven't been there in a year so this was our first time.  I was hopeful that this would mellow Caelan out enough to tolerate the exam.  Not so much.  He was extremely frustrated with the stickers on his chest and very much offended by the ultrasound... so much so we needed to change his diaper when all was said and done!!  The other exam with the gazillion stickers on his chest went better, but not by much.  He gets so upset when they start sticking those things on him and attempts to get them off as quickly as he can.  Surprisingly, when it was time for the nurse to weigh him and take his blood pressure he was calm again and that's usually enough to have him lose it.  Maybe we're over that stage.   Wouldn't that be nice?  Oh let me dream :)  At this point, the Cardiologist explained that these appointments are really just housekeeping.  Caelan's heart is all good.  phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment