Saturday, April 28, 2012

giddy with savings

If you haven't heard, I'm cheap... although frugal sounds better. 

 
Regardless, I love a good deal, a great sale and coupons.

 
I've been searching the internet for ideas on couponning in Canada.  You can watch all these Extreme Couponners from the United States but I just can't figure out how to match those kind of savings here in Canada.  However, I've discovered that there are people doing just that!  It's renewed my interest and my motivation to find a good deal.  Although it can be very time consuming I've found some great websites that have really helped me out.  The best advice I received and will in turn give to you is to check out Mrs. January's website.  I'll try to link some of them up under my blog roll soon.

There are so many people I know that despise grocery shopping. Not me.  I love it and even more so when I know I've done a great job at it.  I grew up in a family that drove from store to store getting all the best deals.  I simply don't have time for that and with the price of gas these days who could afford it!?  I definitely scour the flyers for the best deals but would try to limit myself to only a couple of stores.  Not anymore though.  Not since I discovered price matching at The Real Canadian Superstore.  Now I go grocery shopping with all my flyers and my list of deals to one store.  Don't go rolling your eyes!  It's easy and quick when you're organized so you're not holding up the line -- and I try not to go when it's crazy busy just in case I'm not as organized as I think I am!  It's actually two-fold because not only do you get the satisfaction of getting a sale that was intended for another store, you also feel like you've scored such a better deal because most things are substantially more expensive at the Superstore.

For example...
  • 400g tub of Philly Cream Cheese regularly $6.99 at Superstore was on sale for $2.97 at No Frills 
  • Pork tenderloin, regularly over $18/kg at Superstore on sale for approximately $6 at Food Basics
  • Avocados were 3/$5 at Superstore but on sale at Food Basics for $0.67/lb resulting in a $3 saving
  • Cauliflower was on sale at Superstore for $2, but it was on for a better sale of $1.50 at Walmart
I love it!!  Being able to pick up the sale items at Superstore along with all the sale prices everywhere else means there are very few, if any items that I'm not buying on sale.  I purchased 53 items today and only 4 were at regular price, 22 were price matched and the rest were on sale there.  No coupons today which was a little disappointing though. 

I still haven't mastered coupons.  Or maybe it's just because I've never seen coupons for fresh fruits, vegetables or meat and that's the majority of what we buy.  Come to think of it, rarely do I find coupons for the other staples like flour, milk, butter or eggs!  Let me know if you do, but for now I'm just happy with my price matching savings!!

3 comments:

  1. You know you could hire yourself out as a personal shopper...... Make a business out of it with my Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really if I had lots of money I would hire a personal shopper especially for groceries it is an awful job:) Must admit I don't like any type of shopping very much. I love to cook but hate to shop! Gramma xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Tanya! Thanks for the tip. You know I am so proud of your thrifty ways!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete